What are the symptoms of prostate cancer?
There is no single symptom to indicate the presence of prostate cancer. Problems with the prostate are common, particularly as men get older and they may not necessarily be caused by cancer. They can easily be confused with “getting older”.
In fact many men with prostate cancer have no symptoms at all.
Because the prostate gland surrounds the tube known as the urethra, which passes urine from the bladder to the outside of the body, any prostate disease or growth (benign or malignant) is likely to cause problems with urination. However most prostate cancer is found in a particular area of the prostate gland known as the peripheral zone which is situated away from the urethra and so abnormal symptoms may not be present until the cancer has become more advanced.
Symptoms of prostate cancer may include the following:
• Slow or weak flow of urine
• Urinating more frequently or urgently than usual
• Difficulty starting to urinate
• Pain or burning sensation when urinating
• Unexplained urinary infection
The above symptoms can also be caused by the prostate gland obstructing the bladder due to benign prostate enlargement which can in turn affect the nerves and muscles which control urination.
• Difficulty getting or maintaining an erection or pain during ejaculation
The above symptoms can also be caused by age, diabetes, heart or cardiovascular disease.
• Constipation, altered bowel habit
The above symptom can also be caused by age, low intake of fibre, bowel problems such as diverticulitis and a benign prostate gland putting pressure on the rectum.
Less common symptoms can include the following:
• Blood in the urine or semen
• Pain in the back with no obvious cause or improvement with pain killers due to cancer having spread to lymph nodes
If you are experiencing any of the above symptoms and are worried that they could be related to prostate cancer please discuss them with your GP.
If you have any questions about male cancer please call our Freephone Helpline or email email@example.com